I was perusing the videos on NBA.com, as I tend to do when I’m trying to avoid doing any actual work, and I came across this video about Kevin Garnett.
A few things were just stunning/wildly entertaining to me from this video:
1) I was stunned at how depressed the end of the video made me. Like many Wolves fans, KG is my favorite player of all time. I celebrate his entire catalog. I think KG has a couple more years in him. The last two years were somewhat telling of what’s to come but at the same time, he’s not AS broken down as some people (Lakers, Magic, Cavs fans) assume. The injury took a lot out of him last season but he’s also bounced back a lot better than most assumed he even could. Let’s not start writing his obituary just yet.
2) I forgot how much his physical appearance has changed. He looked like a completely different person in 15 years and it’s not just the facial hair.
3) I forgot Mark Blount ever played for the Wolves until I saw KG giving him a piggy-back ride after that game-winner. Sometimes, you just want to forget certain things.
4) I loved the footage of KG in his confusingly plaid shorts going one-on-one with Sam Mitchell. I miss those two together.
5) It’s probably a once in a generation kind of thing but I miss the constant flow of emotion from a player. You can’t expect just anybody to have that. Kevin Love will never have that. Al Jefferson will never have that. Oleksiy Pecherov will never have that. And I don’t expect them to either. It’s just so rare that it was fun to relive, if only for three minutes and ten seconds.