Report: Wolves “progressing” on Anthony Bennett buyout

According to Yahoo Sports’ rumor wizard Adrian Wojnarowski, the Timberwolves front office is working with Anthony Bennett on completing a buyout with the former No. 1 overall pick.

According to Wojnarowski, Bennett’s representatives “have been eager for a contract buyout to allow him the chance for greater playing time”. In addition, the Wolves’ logjam at power forward make Bennett’s chances for minutes questionable.

If this indeed happens, it seems likely that he would be picked up fairly quickly. While he’s undoubtedly been a disappointment through his first two years in the NBA, there’s still enough potential there for a team to take a chance on him.

Post Tagged with ,

1. Mebert says:

I am curious to know if Saunders is involved in this decision. Timing is strange since he just stepped away.

• I would be surprised if it didn’t. He was part of the process of adding too many roster spots, so he had to have had a plan to get rid of someone. Makes as much sense as anything to assume it was Bennett.

2. ahfan13 says:

I am quite disappointing and very curious about the decision. What’s the point? Keep Payne? Whatever, it sucks for many decisions on the roster in these 2 years.

It’s surprising but makes sense. He’s not good, and it’s not clear he’s even better than Payne (who at least plays hard to compensate for some of his lack of court awareness), since he refuses to play to his strengths on offense. Most importantly, power forwards who can’t shoot or defend the interior are the most useless position to have in the league, especially when they’re making around $13 million the next 2 seasons.

• skune says:

^ agreed. He is a forward tweener in the worst possible way. On defense, he isn’t tall or long enough to guard the interior and isn’t quick enough to guard the perimeter. He can’t shoot from the outside nor can he punish smaller defenders with his back to the basket. The biggest problems though seemed to be in his head with poor shot selections and poor defensive positioning.

I wish him the best of luck, but I’m not sorry to see him go.

• farnorth says:

I am too but I guess we had to choose which young guy to invest in. I hope he goes on to do well. But I am admittedly personally invested in Payne since he would have been my pick last year lol (I also know I was wrong about that, but still)

• banky74 says:

Your feelings on the matter pretty much echo mine exactly. Given the choice between investing in Bennett and Payne I choose the later. I know a lot of people are very down on Payne but he’s an extremely high character guy that’s very coachable. He needs to improve his lower body strength but I firmly believe he can be a solid rotation guy once he gets more comfortable on the court. Last year he looked like a guy that was pressing and trying too hard to do well. I expect by mid-season this year he’ll be more comfortable and consequently an asset on the court.

But losing Bennett is disappointing. There’s a lot of potential there, but with the roster Flip has built for this season, I just don’t see how he can break into the rotation barring a horrible rash of injuries.

4. College Wolf says:

Dumb. We couldn’t have traded his expiring contract for anything?!?

• farnorth says:

For what though? Someone else’s disappointment? he has 0 value at his current contract unless you really believe in his potential. And obviously no one did since he’s been on the block for months

5. Tim says:

I’m all for letting him go. It is a bummer that we will only have one of the three players we received for Kevin Love, but I still think that was a good deal since we got the rookie MVP. Bennet was never going to play meaningful minutes, so adios.

6. banky74 says:

Guys, why do my comments always sit in moderation forever and only get posted about half the time?