The 2016 NBA Draft Lottery wasn’t chock full of surprises… only chalk.
Long story short – nobody moved up, everyone is keeping their picks (for now, anyway), and the Philadelphia 76ers’ league-worst 10-72 record resulted in them receiving the top overall selection for the first time since 1996 (when they took Allen Iverson). A few quick reactions, all in bullet form:
- The Wolves own the fifth pick. Let’s all take a moment to pour one out to the memory of hoping to employ a fourth consecutive top overall pick. That would’ve been fun/unfair/hilarious/sure to elicit cries of a conspiracy theory.
- I’m not a connoisseur of the college game, and I haven’t yet performed my annual pre-Draft “Fall Down a Draft Express Wormhole” sabbatical, so I don’t really know who the Wolves “should” take, much less who I’d “like” them to take. I know I see Jamal Murray, Henry Ellenson, Buddy Hield, and something called Dragan Bender often floated/debated in the Wolves Twittersphere. I’m sure we’ll have lots more to say about it as the Draft approaches.
- I would characterize the Wolves’ biggest need as “outside shooting,” so my initial preference is for them to select the best shooter available, position be damned. But I reserve the right to change my mind after I do my prospect crash course.
- The other thing we’ll be watching carefully, besides the dozens and dozens of DraftExpress videos available on their esteemed website, is whether or not the Wolves trade the pick, rendering all that study and worry useless. Is Tom Thibodeau in win-now mode? Does he like anyone in the Draft enough to take on another raw youngster, or will Thibs and Layden flip the 5th with another asset (or two) for a veteran?
- If so, who would that be? People seem to hate my 5th pick, Zach LaVine and Gorgui Dieng idea for Jimmy Butler, but I think it’s perfectly reasonable to wonder if that’s the sort of thing Thibs will aim for.
- It was cool and kind of heart-wrenching to see Karl-Anthony Towns carrying Flip’s wedding ring for good luck at the lottery.
- Am I the only person who wants the Sixers to take Ben Simmons, just so they can have four frontcourt players, none of whom can shoot, as the prize(s) for all their tanking? I’m a mean person, but this is what I want.
- One final thing… Someone buy us the cool-looking ping-pong gun in the photo at the top of the page. We need it… for, uh, writer reasons.