Wolves get some love in NBA GM Survey
Every year, NBA general managers go out and vote. No, not for those two. We’re not talking about that here.
Like the Rookie Survey, released back in late August/early September, GMs vote on a slew of opinion-based topics, mainly about the upcoming season. The Wolves, often discussed as the NBA’s fastest rising young team, got some love in this regard.
One vote that matched up with the Rookie survey was Kris Dunn winning Rookie of the Year. Dunn won 29 percent of the vote by the rookies; a number that seemed shocking to some (including Steve McPherson, per the link above). The GMs voted, and the number grew to nearly 47 percent.
While Dunn’s chances may not quite be up to what the GMs and Rookies are guessing, the rest of the votes should get the fan base excited. Because not only did the Wolves find themselves in a slew of categories, a lot of the praise is warranted. It won’t be a perfect season, it’s not a guaranteed path to the playoffs, but there’s undoubtedly a lot to look forward to. It’s okay to have fun with this. So, let’s do that.
Here are some of the official results, per Timberwolves PR:
If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 48.3%
2. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 20.7%
3. LeBron James, Cleveland – 17.2%
Also receiving votes: Stephen Curry, Golden State; Anthony Davis, New Orleans; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City
Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2016-17?
1. Devin Booker, Phoenix – 31.0%
2. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 13.8%
3. Myles Turner, Indiana – 10.3%
4. D’Angelo Russell, L.A. Lakers – 6.9%
Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota – 6.9%
Which team will be most improved in 2016-17?
1. Minnesota – 56.7%
2. Utah – 23.3%
3. New York – 10.0%
Also receiving votes: Boston, Houston, L.A. Lakers
Who will win the 2016-17 Rookie of the Year?
1. Kris Dunn, Minnesota – 46.7%
2. Buddy Hield, New Orleans – 13.3%
Ben Simmons, Philadelphia – 13.3%
4. Joel Embiid, Philadelphia – 10.0%
Brandon Ingram, L.A. Lakers – 10.0%
Also receiving votes: Marquese Chriss, Phoenix; Jamal Murray, Denver
Which rookie was the biggest steal at where he was selected in the Draft?
1. Dejounte Murray (29), San Antonio – 23.3%
2. Kris Dunn (5), Minnesota – 16.7%
3. Patrick McCaw (38), Golden State – 13.3%
4. Henry Ellenson (18), Detroit – 10.0%
5. Marquese Chris (8), Phoenix – 6.7%
Skal Labissiere (28), Sacramento – 6.7%
Denzel Valentine (14), Chicago – 6.7%
Also receiving votes: Malcolm Brogdon (36), Milwaukee; Cheick Diallo (33), New Orleans; Thon Maker (10), Milwaukee; Pascal Siakam (27), Toronto; Ivica Zubac (32), L.A. Lakers
Which head coach has the best defensive schemes?
1. Tom Thibodeau, Minnesota – 60.0%
2. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio – 33.3%
Also receiving votes: Brad Stevens, Boston; Stan Van Gundy, Detroi
Which new (or relocated) coach will make the biggest impact this season?
1. Tom Thibodeau, Minnesota – 78.3%
2. Frank Vogel, Orlando – 10.0%
3. Mike D’Antoni, Houston – 8.3%
4. Luke Walton, L.A. Lakers – 3.3%
To send you off, here’s a video of Andrew Wiggins dunking on Omer Asik. Wolves are back in town tomorrow night. See you then.