Wolves Unveil New Logo During Halftime of Final Home Game

After a steady ad campaign and a couple teasers, the Timberwolves have a new logo.

Announced during halftime of Wolves-Thunder, the final home game of the season, the Timberwolves finally were able to announce the new look going forward.

The announcement was set to a truly, awesomely well done video, narrated by MN hip hop royalty Slug, Prof and POS, and followed by a performance by the latter two.

Here’s the video they showed at the Target Center. Apologize for any camera movement. I’m not a pro. My arms got tired. (Update: the Timberwolves uploaded the video to their Twitter account. As masterful as my shaky phone vid was, this is better.)

A somewhat similar design to the new-ish secondary logo from a few years ago, one of the key differences here is the infusion of green. Neon green.

The green is mostly prevelant on what is supposed to be a rendition of the North Star. Given past ads, it’ll be interesting to see how much they incorporate green into the actual uniforms. It could be more than the logo lets on. The other noticeable change is the slight alteration of the Wolf itself, though even that is close to the secondary logo from a few years ago.

I dunno, I like it. What do you think of the new look?

Post Tagged with , , , ,

1. banky74 says:

I am… underwhelmed.

It takes a while for this sort of thing to sink in and really get used, so hard to judge right away.

I like it. Maybe not the home run I was hoping for. But it is nice. It is more bold and simplified than the current logo, which is too complex and spiky. Looks like the Bucks aesthetic some, which is a good direction. There is something really not intimidating and childish about our current logo… As tame as it seems, the original logo was more intimidating than the one we use now. The new logo is more intimidating–part of this is the more simple design, part is the new colors scheme, and part is in the details like the green pupil-less eyes. You still just want to pat the current wolf on the head even as he snarls, but this one you leave alone…

Maybe most thing exciting are the colors. There are still some questions even with the logo right in front of us. Is that a grey, a silver or a really dull white? The lettering looks pure while, the the light stuff in the wolf is a very light grey? How will this look off the computer screen and on floors and shirts? What will this new dark blue look like in fabric?

The next step is how we use the colors in unis. Ours are horribly non flashy right now. We went from the all black PJ’s last game to nearly colorless white unis with almost no visible trim from and distance. I could live with our current logo–I hate our current unis. The dream would be to have grey/silver home unis so we don’t have so much boring white, maybe with both blue and green trim, prominent. Like blue and green stripes outlining each other all over the unis. Obviously, the new deep blue would be the main uni color with grey and lime green accents. We could have alternates that emphasize the lime as the main color or in a prominent way. Hope we don’t drop the uni ball. I also wonder if trees will be back. They’ve been hoovering in the teases but are not in the logo.

I hated the lead up video. It was embarrassing and lame. There’ nothing worse than warmed over street culture used in corporate ways.

3. like it so far (but why is the wolve grey, white wouldve been much better imo)
    now lets wait and see how everything else looks

4. biggity2bit says:

I like it. As a former designer, there’s a piece of wisdom in the field that often times the designs that age best are the ones that just seem ‘good’ but not great initially. They have a little degree of let down and I them – like, ‘that’s it?’ This design feels that way to me a little, so I’m willing to let it grow on me.

Super stoked for new unis and especially a new court. I did always like the black pine tree trimmed unis from KGs peak, tho. (Probably because I associate them with KGs peak).

I love the ‘aurora’ green. When the Seattle Seahawks redid their colors years ago to include a neon line green, I thought it was really stupid and gimmicky. Those unis have really grown on me since. I like them. And if it means more Wiggins in his green shoes? Sweet.

• gjk says:

That’s a good point. Hit a double instead of swinging and missing for the fences. The uniforms could still go wrong; could be simple and well-done like the Raptors or Bucks…or it could be the Hawks. Too much of a third color usually misses the mark, and the grey on the current uniforms looks terrible.

5. Very predictable but nice logo. NBA teams like the circle or basketball image. Before this logo, an Internet source reported that 73% of the teams used a basketball. Major League Baseball uses baseballs or other imagery inherent in the sport at 43%. America’s most popular sport – NFL football – finds only 13% images that identity the sport. Apparently, there is a much greater confidence factor that NFL logos will be recognized without identifying the sport. The RARE Design firm did an update on a Wolves logo that already exists on the floor and added the type for Minnesota Timberwolves. The darker blue and hot green works well. Trees are gone and so is the “Dracula” typography. It’s a conservative approach, no risk of rejection. The drawing is well done. My favorite design from this company is one of the logos for the Sacramento Kings. No name of the team is given but a terrific combination of a basketball, crown, lion’s head and the initial “S”. In the NBA, there isn’t much confidence for using very simplified trademarks for teams. The “NY” trademark of the New York Yankees is one example of a simple image. Wolves’ logo is more of an illustration than trademark. Trademarks are normally very simple and can be recognized when used very small. My son and AWAW writer, Andy Grimsrud, used a very simple Wolves’ logo for his former “Punch Drunk Wolves” blog. The face of a wolf can be seen within the initial’s “M” and reverse letter “T”. It does read well when reduced very small for his tweets. It’s probably too “corporate” and lacking in fun that the kids’ appreciate but was an attempt by me to do a trademark and not an illustration. Chicago Cubs have the confidence to use a very simplified logo. It’s a popular brand. In other words, from my perspective, the Minnesota Timberwolves need to refine its logo even more. RARE Design could do that as one of a couple images representing the brand. Identity is important considering that professional basketball is popular world-wide, more than football and baseball. I go back to watching the Minneapolis Lakers winning championships. We were the “Yankees” of basketball. I don’t recall a trademark or brand other than “Mikan” and “Lakers”.

6. S OBrien says:

Don’t like it. Too small, detailed, retro. Not bold.

One issue I’m worried about is contrast. The Background blue and Wolf blue are very similar and if seen small or from a distance this logo will not read right. Hoping when I see it it actual use this won’t be a problem, but that’s a nuts and bolts thing I noticed.